Lots of people suffer from sleep problem and want to know the best solution for overcoming this problem. Proper sleep is absolutely essential for good health and well-being much like oxygen is essential for living.
Lack of sleep can lead to problems like irritation, difficulty in concentration, drowsiness during the day, low energy levels, low productivity, difficulty in remembering things, managing problems, mood disorders and more.
As per one study, in America alone there are 60 million people who suffer from sleep problems. And almost 35 % of the adults in America have issues like waking up too early in the morning, unable to get sleep after getting up at mid night and waking up in the middle of the night etc.
As per one research study almost 40% of health problems are directly or indirectly related to sleep related issues. Sleepless can cause havoc to relationship, work and general health and therefore it is important to address this issue in a timely manner.
Of course there are several conventional treatment options available for this problem. However the focus of this article is to provide you some simple tips for overcoming sleep problems naturally.
- Several research studies have indicated that certain type of music can help in inducing sleep. And this has been tested and proven to be correct also. If you look at your nearby music store you should be able to get music CD’s that you can listen to when you go to bed. Music therapy has been there for a long time and you should make use of it effectively.
- If you get up frequently at night just to urinate then you may be having some other health problem like diabetes, snoring, sleep apnea, anxiety etc. Unless you get yourself examined by a doctor you will not know the real reason. Get a proper checkup done and correct the problem at the earliest.
- If some worry or fear is causing the sleeplessness then it is time to talk to yourself and do some kind of meditation so that you focus changes. Maybe you can start and concentrate on your inward and outward breathing. Meditation will help you to overcome the worry or fear and allow you to get sleep quickly.
- Sometimes a warm water bath can help in inducing sleep. You can mix some essential oil with a fragrance of your liking to the warm water in the tub. Soak yourself in the warm water tub for 10-15 minutes. Subsequently you can wash with unscented soap or gel. After the bath you can dry with a towel and then put on your night dress before you hit the bed.
- Another effective method for inducing sleep is flower therapy. For example the fragrance of lavender oil is known to treat insomnia. You can add few drops of lavender oil to a piece of cloth and let the nice fragrance diffuse throughout the bedroom. Alternately you can get a basket of fresh lavender flowers and place it by the bedside.
- Making changes to your diet can also help in overcoming sleep problems. Avoid drinking caffeine beverages like tea and coffee several hours before you go to sleep. Caffeine is a stimulant and is known to disrupt normal sleeping. Similarly eating sugary items can cause blood sugar levels to go high and then fall very low. And low blood sugar level can cause sleeplessness. It is best to avoid refined sugars and caffeine as much as possible. Similarly if you are a smoker then try giving up smoking because nicotine is a stimulant and can keep you awake.
- Relaxation techniques can also help in getting proper sleep. These techniques help in calming down the mind and the body. Some examples of these techniques are – deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation and visualization methods. These techniques are not difficult to learn but you will have to practice them. You will have to set aside 15-20 minutes of your time every day for this activity.
- Try and maintain a proper sleep cycle. This means you should go to sleep and get up at the same time every day. This way you will feel much more refreshed and energized than if you sleep the same number of hours each day. It is important to maintain consistency in order to sleep well.